“In Haiti, order, safety, comfort, all perished. But the first to die was dignity.” -Time Magazine
Foyer Notre Dame
A home for indigent elderly run by the Society of St. Margaret, a community of Episcopal nuns working in the Diocese of Haiti.
What service does Foyer Notre Dame provide?
- A home for the poorest of the poor in Haiti.
- A loving home for elderly indigent church members who are alone or whose families cannot care for them.
- In a time of transition in the country, people are faced with struggles of family income, a place to stay, and food to eat. The Foyer provides spiritual support and a gentle and stable home of dignity all the way through to death and burial.
Why should we respond to the need in Haiti?
- Tens of thousands lack shelter, water, food.
- Basic community services were destroyed and lost.
- A cholera epidemic followed.
- St. Margaret’s Convent has been destroyed completely. One building of the Foyer Notre Dame, the home for the elderly, has been badly damaged, and the other has been demolished.
…for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me… Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me. (Matt 25:35-36, 40, NRSV)
How can the we help?
- Parish or parishes can support Foyer Notre Dame by “adopting” one or more residents, providing them with a place of dignity.
- Raise funds for the construction of new facilities to replace those damaged or destroyed during earthquake.
Checks may be made payable to The Convent of St. Margaret, Port au Prince. Please write Foyer Notre Dame in the memo line. Use regular US Postage.
Allow considerable time for acknowledgement and check clearance. Agape Flights takes the mail to Haiti whenever they go, but perhaps not on a regular schedule, and banking processes take longer in Haiti. Return acknowledgement may take longer than you are use to.
Sister Marie Margaret Fenelon
St. Margaret’s Convent Port au Prince
c/o Agape Flights
100 Airport Avenue
Venice, FL 34285-3901
Web Address: www.ssmbos.com
Help Haitian Women! Order altar linens from the Sisters of Saint Margaret.